Homework from Michelle
One of my goals this year is to write a blog post every week for the entire school year. At times over the past few months this goal was easily achieved. Other times, it has been very difficult to keep up. Regardless, I have enjoyed writing a great deal. One of the challenges, beyond finding time, is settling upon a topic. This week, a topic settled upon me care of Michelle Baldwin and Dean Shareski.
Michelle tagged me so here we go:
11 Random Facts About Me
- Between June 1997 and June 1999 I canoed over 3000KM in Northern Saskatchewan (Michelle you really should go!). All of these KM’s were done in voyageur canoes which are between 22 and 26 feet long. During this time I completed the second longest portage in Canada, the Methye Portage at 26 KM long.
- When I was 10, I had supper with Wayne Gretzky at my best friend’s house.
- I played mini stick hockey with Mark Messier, Grant Fuhr, and Kevin Lowe one Saturday morning when i was 9.
- This one isn’t fun and lighthearted but it is significant: In April 1999 I was held hostage and robbed by 8 heavily armed men in Ecuador. There were 18 students and two other teachers with me.
- In March 1992, I joined the Canadian Armed Forces. In August 1992 I was kicked out of the Canadian Armed Forces.
- I love to cook – which is good because I also love to eat.
- I hate running but I do it anyway (refer to number 6).
- I have never eaten a corn dog.
- When I am around people with accents, I start speaking with an accent. I don’t know why.
- I hate winter. I grew up in Northern Canada and have spent my entire life in Canada – but I absolutely, categorically, HATE winter.
- I have seen the sun come up over the Himalayas in Nepal.
Questions from Michelle
- What’s the happiest thing you can think of? I have three. The birth of my two boys, Patrick and Andrew and my wedding day, July 25, 2008.
- What DO you want to be when you grow up? A philanthropist – it would be great to just give money away all the time.
- Favorite Monty Python quote? “I told them we already got one!”
- What’s the worst time zone? Nepal Time – it is GMT +5:45. Why the 45 minutes?
- Do you have any weird food issues? Describe. The issue is food – I like it – a lot. That’s probably not weird.
- Describe the scene in front of you right now. It is snowing like crazy as I look out my classroom window. My GR 12 students are finishing their second last exam before our winter break.
- How many books are you currently reading? Which ones? Why do teachers always read so many books at once. I am reading Tthe Power of Why by Amanda Lang, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Admittedly, I haven’t found a lot of time to read lately. But, winter break is coming:)
- Tell me something you’re proud of yourself for doing/being, but too modest to “toot your own horn.” I’m very proud to have had the opportunity to travel and work abroad with students.
- If you could make up a name for yourself or change your name, what would it be? It would be a symbol – something aloof and mysterious.
- Who is someone you wish more people knew about on Twitter and/or blogs? Chris Smeaton. Chris is a Superintendent here in Alberta. He is the kind of leader I would like to work for.
- What is your favorite education story from your experience? A few years ago, my grade 11 students and I (all boys) rewrote MacBeth in gangland style. We filmed it and turned it into a movie. I will never forget doing that with them.
Now It’s Your Turn
Questions for You
- What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- What is the best vacation you’ve ever taken?
- What is your favourite movie?
- Where are you right now?
- Can you name all 50 US State Capitals?
- If you could make one thing in your life go away, what would it be?
- Describe a time when you were the happiest.
- Can you play a musical instrument?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, what is one thing you could not be without?
- How long did it take you to get to work today?
- Who should teachers be paying attention to on Twitter or in the blogosphere?
Here’s How It Works:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Please post back here with a link when you are finished writing. Happy posting everyone!